If you have an emergency, call 911 immediately!

Wisconsin Fire News

Alliant shuts off some utilities in Rock County because of flooding

Alliant Energy officials announced the company has shut off utility service to some customers in the Janesville and Beloit area because of flooding. The areas that are most affected are low-lying properties near rivers, streams and lakes, according to a news release. Alliant Energy officials said some basements have flooded, causing utility equipment to be underwater.
- PUB DATE: 2/22/2018 9:13:27 AM - SOURCE: WISC-TV Channel 3000.com Madison

Fire destroys home in Village of Summit

VIDEO: Firefighters on Thursday morning, Feb. 22 were called out to the scene of a house fire near Mill Road and Venice Park Road in Village of Summit. The call came in around 4:30 a.m. When crews arrived on scene, they found a two-story home fully-involved in fire -- with flames coming from all four sides and the roof.
- PUB DATE: 2/22/2018 4:57:46 AM - SOURCE: WITI Fox Channel 6

Neshkoro Fire Department Honored Volunteers On FEB. 10

The Neshkoro Area Fire and Protection District’s Fire Department held its annual Christmas Party on Saturday, Feb. 10, at the fire station. In attendance were firefighters, spouses, girlfriends, family members, district board members and their spouses. Captain Jody Reetz and his wife, Jinny, prearranged catering with The Moose Inn of Wautoma.
- PUB DATE: 2/21/2018 1:05:13 PM - SOURCE: Waushara Argus

Follow Up: Diesel tanks, flammable materials help fuel fire at Sugar Camp machinery shop

VIDEO: A major fire destroyed a machinery repair shop in Sugar Camp on Wednesday morning, sending clouds of black smoke over the Northwoods. The shop, next to a home on County Highway D west of Sugar Camp, caught fire around 10 a.m. "There was a machinery malfunction that [the owner said] he was dealing with, and there could also be a heating issue," said Sugar Camp Fire Chief Jason Goeldner.
- PUB DATE: 2/21/2018 12:51:19 PM - SOURCE: WJFW-TV NBC 12 Rhinelander-Wausau

Chippewa Falls panel OKs fund drive to buy power cot systems

The Chippewa Falls Fire Department is seeking donations to buy two power cot systems for their ambulances and refurbish four existing cots at a total cost of about $58,000. Chippewa Falls fire Chief Mike Hepfler presented the plan Tuesday to the city’s Transportation, Construction, Public Safety and Traffic Committee, although he started raising money last month.
- PUB DATE: 2/21/2018 2:42:55 AM - SOURCE: Eau Claire Leader-Telegram

Fire in Sturgeon Bay downtown likely started in exterior waste container

Firefighters were on the scene Tuesday night of a fire reported about 9 p.m. at 19 N. Third Ave. The storefronts along this area include second-story apartments. The preliminary investigation showed the fire started in an exterior waste container near the alley behind the building, said Sturgeon Bay Fire Chief Tim Dietman.
- PUB DATE: 2/20/2018 11:52:09 PM - SOURCE: Green Bay Press-Gazette

Milton Firefighters help secure floating propane tanks

Firefighters from the Milton Fire Department helped secure tanks that were floating away at Milton Propane Tuesday. Firefighters from Janesville also assisted. Several busy roads were closed Tuesday due to flooding across Rock County. NBC15 reached out to the Milton Fire Department, but an official there could not provide any more information at the time on the exact number of tanks the department helped secure or how long crews were out.
- PUB DATE: 2/20/2018 9:52:26 PM - SOURCE: WMTV-TV NBC 15 Madison

Madison man detained after volatile chemicals found in apartment, authorities say

A Madison man was detained after volatile chemicals were discovered at his Far West Side apartment Tuesday morning, prompting the building’s residents to be evacuated, authorities said. The Madison Fire Department sent its Hazardous Incident Team to the Timberlake Village Apartments, 7425 Timberlake Trail, around 10:30 a.
- PUB DATE: 2/20/2018 8:55:28 PM - SOURCE: Madison

Marathon County home destroyed in fire, animals killed

VIDEO: A home near Athens went up in flames Tuesday night. Firefighters were called to the scene on County Road A in the Town of Johnson just before 9 p.m. Officials believe a heating lamp in the garage is to blame for starting the fire. The Athens Fire Chief said several pigs and two dogs died in the blaze.
- PUB DATE: 2/20/2018 8:17:21 PM - SOURCE: WAOW-TV ABC 9-Wausau

Controversy continues over Portage Co. volunteer fire station's future

VIDEO: Residents of Park Ridge will vote Tuesday on an advisory referendum concerning the volunteer fire department. The future of the station remains in question but in the meantime, residents are voicing their opinions. The ballot will have three options for residents to choose from: The first would offer a new building and updated equipment.
- PUB DATE: 2/19/2018 5:26:26 PM - SOURCE: WAOW Newsline 9

New fire station groundbreaking brings Madison closer to quicker response times

VIDEO: People living on Madison's southeast side routinely have to wait 10 to 15 minutes for emergency crews to respond. The city hopes opening Fire Station 14 near the intersection of Dairy Drive and Femrite Drive will change that. Construction begins Monday. When complete, the $6.4 million Fire Station 14 will include a community room as well as a training room for firefighters and recruits.
- PUB DATE: 2/19/2018 3:48:57 PM - SOURCE: WMSN-TV Fox 47 Madison

Former Mosinee fire chief sues Fire District to block release of documents

The former chief of the Mosinee Fire District is suing to block the release of records requested after his resignation, alleging they contain false information that would hurt his reputation if made public. Doug Jennings left the department in late January, a day after he was put on paid suspension by the Mosinee Fire District Board.
- PUB DATE: 2/19/2018 2:48:40 PM - SOURCE: Wausau Daily Herald

Three people displaced by apartment fire in Appleton

VIDEO: Three people were displaced Sunday by a fire at an apartment building. The fire was reported at 6:12 p.m. at 3208 E. Canary St., according to the Appleton Fire Department. The first firefighters at the scene found an apartment using a wood burning stove had led to a chimney fire in the attic. The fire was quickly extinguished and most of the damage was limited to the attic.
- PUB DATE: 2/19/2018 1:04:30 PM - SOURCE: Appleton Post-Gazette & Post Crescent.com

Firefighters Pull Woman From The Flames in Fond du Lac County

Fond du Lac Sheriff's Office received a call just before midnight Monday about a house fire. Officials say the blaze broke out on W3858 Silica Road. A passerby reported visible smoke coming from the garage and could hear a woman inside the home calling for help. Fire personnel removed the 47-year-old woman from the home.
- PUB DATE: 2/19/2018 8:15:38 AM - SOURCE: WNFL SPORT REDIO

Overdose deaths up in Winnebago County

Drug overdose deaths in Winnebago County increased nearly 30 percent from 2016 to 2017, according to data released Wednesday by Winnebago County Coroner Bill Hintz. The report stated there were 124 overdose deaths in the county last year, up from 96 in 2016. The three most common drugs involved with the deaths included fentanyl, heroin and cocaine, with the most common affected age group included 40 to 49-year-olds.
- PUB DATE: 2/16/2018 6:33:47 AM - SOURCE: Beloit Daily News

La Crosse County: Nation's first 911 call received 50 years ago today

During his two years as a La Crosse County dispatcher, Jay Loeffler quickly learned that the definition of an emergency is most certainly not universal. Among the thousands of calls reporting accidents, injuries and intruders, the occasional head-shaking query comes in, with one memorable conversation regarding a restaurant reservation.
- PUB DATE: 2/16/2018 3:33:48 AM - SOURCE: Lacrosse Tribune

Green Bay: Two Little Girls Making A Big Difference

VIDEO: A lot of interesting stories come across my desk daily. In a blink of an eye I have to decide whether to look into them or move on. After opening my email this morning and taking that first sip of coffee I received one particular story that I couldn't let slip by. Two Hobart girls, Addie and Annabella Mathey, have been celebrating their birthdays a little differently than the rest of us.
- PUB DATE: 2/16/2018 12:41:43 AM - SOURCE: WFRV-TV and WJMN-TV Green Bay

Follow Up: Milwaukee woman charged with child neglect in fire that killed 1-year-old girl

VIDEO: A 31-year-old Milwaukee woman has been charged in the death of a child in a fire that happened Saturday, February 10. Quintella Owens has been charged with three counts of child neglect in the death of 1-year-old Quamyiia Owens. According to the criminal complaint, fire crews responded to the fire around 9:45 p.
- PUB DATE: 2/15/2018 6:32:35 PM - SOURCE: WDJT-TV CBS 58 Milwaukee

Update: Lake Delton Mt. Olympus maintenance building fire damage estimated at $1.2 million

The damage estimate for the Feb. 14 Mt. Olympus maintenance building fire is $1.2 million. “We come up with the loss estimation by first looking at the size of the building and what it would cost, conservatively, to reconstruct,” said Delton Fire Chief Darren Jorgenson. “Then, we take a look at what contents were lost in the fire.
- PUB DATE: 2/15/2018 12:35:43 PM - SOURCE: wisc news

Sandalwood smoke brings Madison firefighters to Downtown apartment building

Sandalwood has a nice smell when burned, but using too much can bring firefighters to your door. That's what happened Wednesday evening when the Madison Fire Department was called out to the 600 block of West Doty Street because there was smoke in the hallway of an apartment building. A full structure fire response was sent to the building, as firefighters went up to the fourth floor, where the smoke was reported to be coming from.
- PUB DATE: 2/15/2018 9:08:32 AM - SOURCE: Madison

Pages